Monday, March 12, 2012

Small Words, part 2

Have you ever asked God ". . .if it is Your will. . ." knowing full well that it is or is not?  I find that I want things so badly at times that I ask more in hopes that my desire changes the Will of God.  Then I realize what I just asked and I feel completely stupid.  I even wonder if the Holy Spirit as he is interceding for us in our prayers, looks down with a look of "Are you serious?  I ain't saying that!"  (That's right, my Holy Spirit says "ain't").  Does He turn to the Father and say, "Don't worry about that last part, he's just being selfish. . .forgive him for that."

Matthew 8:1-4 tells a story of a man who was living with the horrible disease called leprosy.  A man who was considered so unclean that, due to his condition, was banished from society until he was cured or died.  If he entered town, people would point and yell, saying things like, "Impure" and "Unclean".  So, this man somehow works his way to the feet of Jesus and kneels.  Not knowing a thing about this man (Jesus) and knowing that just speaking exposes him as "Unclean" in the midst of a repulsed crowd, he says, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."  Jesus' answer could not be more concise than it is.  He answers the first question of "Lord, if you will" with a strong, but simple, "I will."  What a powerful tiny sentence that I overlook!  He asks if it is the will of God that he be clean and Jesus states that cleanliness is EXACTLY what He wills!  Jesus follows his declaration with another profound statement - "Be clean".

My first reaction is for clarity.  Was this a healing or a command?  Did Jesus heal the man of his past filth or instruct his future purity?  Yes.  Verse 4 explains that the man was instantly HEALED and was to go and SHOW his cleanliness.

Two sentences.  Four powerful words.  "I will. Be clean".

1 comment:

  1. This is how I know we have the same God - my God says "ain't" as well. This is awesome. I love the power in two of the words, I and BE. The "I" is the one that shows who holds the power, while "Be" is the will of the One with the power becoming reality. This would be true of both the healed of past filth and commanded for future purity.

    His words are HEAVY.

    ReplyDelete